Orchestrated Chaos

Pushing my own buttons.

Friday, May 09, 2008

I fear nothing other than a complete loss of memory,

Two weeks ago we did a major rearrangement of the living room. Everything in this gigantic room got moved around: all the computers, the computer desks (logically), the entertainment center, book shelves, kid's work table. It took us two days to get everything shifted, and then even longer to get the odds and ends back to their places. It was an entire weekend of an event, I was quite sore when we finally got everything all set. And the kids were more then a little frazzled with the unfamiliar surroundings.

But it turned out to be a little extra eventful. We went to plug in my computer, and snap, crackle and pop, it fizzled out. I knew instinctively that it was almost definitely my power supply (I was holding my breathe that it wasn't worse then that) that got burnt. I ran up to Best Buy with the tower and they confirmed that it was the power supply. I was quite underwhelmed by the geek there, I feel that I am in a good position to rate the geek-factor of other geeks: being one myself. While he had the tower open he saw that I had a secondary hard-drive slaved up to my primary hard-drive plugged in, but just dangling around in my case. He offered to pop it in to the open bays next to my primary, and I told him that would be awesome.

So I ponied up the $130, walked around for 45 minutes, trying to restrain myself from spending any other money there, after I just spent some. So I made it out of the store and brought the old girl home and plugged it in. I then nearly had a coronary when windows wouldn't even recognize a single byte from the secondary hard-drive. I have it partitioned into 4 drives, and have a considerable amount of music and other data stored on there. And it was like it didn't even exist. I thought I lost all my music, 2 years of checking & savings account history in Quicken, and lots of science and geeky information that I had saved from Hubble and Cassini sites.

I tried not to commit seppuku, there had to be some way to fix it. I did some research here and there, double-checking the jumper pins, and the IDE ribbon cable. I removed everything and put it back exactly the way it was. It took me 4 days to fix it. But I finally did it. I guess it had something to do with the new power supply, I'm thinking because it was a new power plug going into the hard-drive, that could have made the computer think that the old hard-drive was a new device. I had to boot up the computer completely into windows, and then I went into Device Manager in order to double-check all the IDE drivers. I was grasping at straws, but as I accidentally right-clicked and a little dialogue box popped up with an option for "Scan computer for new hardware", I thought to myself "It couldn't be that simple, could it?" Well, that did it. Every 2 or 3 seconds a hard-drive registered as coming back online until I had all four partitions again, and I was able to breathe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home