Orchestrated Chaos

Pushing my own buttons.

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Well, it is time for another installment of the things that have been on my mind for the week. I know that the number (bullet) style list is a fan favorite, so I'll stick with the crowd-pleasers.

1) First and foremost, I may have to give up my geek title. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy came out yesterday and I haven't seen it yet. A movie like that, which is on a short list of books that I think deserve to be made into contemporary movies, to more closely portray the vision that the author was trying to express while writing the work. (I know old school movies are important and have their place, but I think that contemporary visual effects when used skillfully and sparingly would be a fantastic reason to reshoot a couple of movies from the past.) I haven't been impressed by the movie reviews, or more accurately the reviewers. I don't think that you can just believe any old review that you read, because most of them are garbage. We are lucky to have the internet for this, because I think you should cautiously search out two or three reviewers that most closely seem to mirror your tastes, and stick with them for as long as you can. Use them like an older sibling, and pick their brains, but don't believe everything that they say (It had to be said C, cause it took me 6 or 7 years to stop believing that swallowing toothpaste would kill me).

2) There are books that I wish I was smart enough to be able to sit down and have the will to read from cover-to-cover (that sounds like a good bookstore name, not Stacked). I have not been able to read non-fiction for a while (perhaps 3 years, since little feet came pitter-pattering into my life), but if I could I would want to check out a few books: Name All the Animals, by Allison Smith; A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson; The True History of Chocolate, by Sophie Coe, and Michael Coe; The Fabric of the Universe, by Brian Greene (who also wrote The Elegant Universe). Those are a few of the books that are really jumping off the shelves at me. I'll try to think of some more for another post.

3) Oh, I guess I won't surrender my geek status, like I hinted at, because this afternoon I successfully fixed the wireless network problems we have been having, and enabled and started using the wireless security features, as well. Our connectivity problems were getting bad for a while last week. It started on Wednesday or Thursday, turn on the laptop and it would connect to the open network (I couldn't get the security features enabled yet) and then 5-10 minutes later it would just disconnect. It would still detect the wireless network, but would take 2 or 3 minutes to reconnect, then 5-10 minutes later it would disconnect (the interval was actually usually 8 minutes, 40-some odd seconds). Then I started trying to diagnose the problems (I thought it was the router) but after I change any of the settings on the router, the laptop wouldn't be able to detect the wireless network at all, no matter how many times I told it to check again. So I went to the router's manufacturers website, and actually found this tool called netstart. I downloaded it, and in about a TOTAL of 8 mouse clicks I had the desktop configure the router for a secure network AND the laptop was connected and secure as well, with no connectivity losses anymore. I was actually extremely surprised at how easy that little program made the whole process, I even left the network connection status screen up on the laptop, pessimistically thinking that I wanted to see when it disconnected from the network again, but after about 2 hours it back apparent that it was on a stable connection. So my new theory is that it could have been some problem with the factory configuration of the network adaptor on the laptop, but I guess it seems ironed out now.

4) Oh, and the big news: I'm going to be cutting back my hours at the bookstore. I haven't decided yet whether I'll be going down to one night a week, or whether I'll be taking a break from gainful employment, it depends on the boss'. The store was just sold to someone else, I'm not even sure that they are going to want to keep me on, but you know, twelve hours a week was beginning to cramp my style, and feel like, well, work. Fortunately I have a sugarmommy.

Well, that is all the typing that my little fingers are in the mood for, and I didn't even get around to all the ridiculous national news from the week (runaway brides, and money thieves from Massachusetts).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home