Orchestrated Chaos

Pushing my own buttons.

Sunday, May 08, 2005

More TV......

Last night was Saturday night, and I actually had the night off. The new owner of the bookstore told me that he wanted to work, to see what the weekend evening was like, and have a few friends stop in. So after taking Michelle out to a local restaurant for Mother's Day, we came back home and got the kids in bed. Since I had off on Saturday night I was looking forward to one major thing: one of my favorite shows: Monarch of the Glen. It is yet another British show that I watch, shown on WXXI (PBS).

Well, the brief summary of the show is that Archie MacDonald is a London entrepreneur on the eve of opening a trendy new restaurant when he get a call from his mother: "Dad is sick, you need to come home." So after so hesitation he hops a train and goes running home. At this time the audience find out that Home, for Archie is a 80,000 acre manor, complete with a mansion, a cook, a Ghillie (gill-ee: kind of like a gamekeeper, but a little more), and tenants who live in the cottages on their property. So it turns out that Hector (Archie's pop) is not as ill as Mum let on, but the estate's finances are. Bad things are about to happen unless the estate can be brought out of the red ink. So after more hesitation Archie decides to move home and accept his role as Laird, or (you might have guessed) Monarch of the Glen.

So that started of the show and since then there have been many antics and adventures, including a ghost, a collapsed bridge, a wedding, a funeral, and a Wolf Preserve, set against the backdrop of an astoundingly picturesque Scottish highlands property. This show is now in it's sixth season, even though they call seasons: series, across the pond. I have almost all of the episodes on VHS tape, but I haven't seen any of the most recent episodes, because I normally work on Saturdays. So when I sat down to watch last night, I was in for some major surprises. Archie has left, and his wife left with him. Those were the two major characters of the show! I had seen their courtship and engagement, Lexi's cold feet, and then their mountainside wedding. Now the estate is run by Archie's half-brother, and pretty much only three of the original cast members are still there, out of around eight. I know it is tough to explain the draw and allure of such a show here, but it really was a marvelous show, and I was pretty disappointed to see how much it had changed since the last time I tuned in.

I just hope that the rumors of the season finale of Scrubs isn't the beginning of the same trend for that high-quality show. Losing one person might bring in a fresh source of storylines and humor, but if it is the first of a mass exodus, they should just end the show rather then become the same show, just an entirely different cast.

I also found a good article about the end of an era. I watched a lot of Star Trek (yes, I admit it!) when I was younger, and have watched most of the episodes of Star Trek - Enterprise. It is remarkable how long Star Trek has been around, and remarkable that it is no longer going to be on the air.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home